9.12.2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

Very Good Taste has compiled a list of 100 foods that every omnivore should try just once. While veggies are more my style these days, I have had exposure to many an exotic food due to my father's unusual gastronomic creations.

Here's the deal:
I have tasted items in bold.
I won't try items that I've crossed out.

Behold, dear readers, Sioux's foray into the wild world of eating with:
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred

1. Venison
Yes. I ate bambi. Yes. I still cry about it sometimes.
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
If you want each bite of your meal to take between 6 and 8 minutes to chew, I recommend Crocodile.
6. Black pudding
My family calls this dish blueclub, and from what I understand it is basically a giant cow scab.
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
Word to the wise: Don't try homemade plum wine.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
This one was obviously a mistake.
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
I've had cognac and I've smoked cigars, but never AT THE SAME TIME. I think that would be a class overload in my system. I'd probably shit diamonds.
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
I remember goat being surprisingly delicious back in my meat eating days.
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
HOW I WISH! I suppose a girl can dream...
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
My Dad had a weird foods birthday party and someone gave him an eel in a bag. It smelled like rotten potatoes and tasted worse when he got around to actually cooking it. Let me tell you, some novelty foods should be left as NOVELTIES!
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
I must say that Very Good Taste does not distinguish between the subtleties of fried dough very well. A beignet is a much different creature than a churro! A funnel cake should comprise its own category!
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
I suppose one should never say never, but sweet Haysoos, if I ever eat Roadkill someone should write a book about my life's hardships and then turn it into a major motion picture staring Thora Birch. I didn't just date myself through the Thora Birch reference, did I?
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
This smokey, bold tea is especially good during cold winters. I tend to like my foods savory rather than sweet, and this tea really encapsulates that aspect of taste.
80. Bellini
OHMYGOD CAN I HAVE ONE NOW!??!
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
I love watching the geeks at That's Entertainment much on Pocky while playing Dungeons and Dragons when I pick up my Buffy comics.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
Don't judge. Spam-o-rama's fucking cool.
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake
Sometimes the Alamo Drafthouse pairs weird documentaries with weird food. More often than not, the weird documentaries are about food, and my entire family attended the screening of some Rattlesnake capturing documentary and ate chicken-fried Rattlesnake and drank plenty of Lonestars (well, I was probably 17, so my siblings handed them to me discretely, though I'm sure my rapid chugging of them was pretty conspicuous to my parents).

No comments: